We’ve all experienced some telling signs that our gut is connected to our mood. Think butterflies in your stomach before a big presentation, that last minute urge to pee before going on stage. And if you’re someone with SIBO or other digestive issues, you might be dealing with some of the other downwind symptoms that occur when we let our anxiety get out of control.
On today’s episode, I’m joined by Dr. Megan Riehl, a GI psychologist (yes, it’s a thing) who specializes in tactical approaches to relieving visceral hypersensitivity, food fears, and anxiety related to our gut. We talk about how anxiety around your meals or symptoms can become a self-fulfilling IBS prophecy, and explore a really powerful data-backed approach: hypnosis for anxiety, IBS, and other digestive issues.
If you’re someone who’s prone to both anxiety and gut issues, this conversation is a must-listen.
Also, I have a BIG announcement about a secret project I’ve been working on all spring and ways for you to get involved. Don’t miss it.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and how it helps with anxiety and gut issues
- Breathing exercises to dial down our body tension
- Gut-directed hypnotherapy for IBS, IBD, GERD and other issues
- Why people get visceral hypersensitivity from nerve endings
- Why you should see a GI doctor in addition to a therapist, and vice versa
- Cognitive restructuring around food fear and anxiety
- How to tell the difference between SIBO-induced food fear and disordered eating
- Strategies for approaching a meal when you have food anxiety
- Where to find Dr. Megan Riehl
- North Carolina protocol for hypnotherapy
- Kate Scarlata episode on SIBO diets
- Amy Shah episode on meal spacing
- Become a recipe tester for the SIBO Made Simple BOOK!!
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by Epicured, a low FODMAP meal delivery service that understands that food is medicine. Each menu is created by Michelin star chefs and honed by doctors and dieticians at mount sinaii to restore digestive health for those with IBS, SIBO, Celiac and IBD. Everything they serve is 100 percent low FODMAP and gluten-free, with no cooking required! My favorite part about their dishes is the healthy spin on takeout gems like shrimp laksa and PAD THAI! Their version had a great balance of fresh veggies mixed in with the noodles that left me feeling both satisfied and completely free of my usual carb coma. Listeners to this podcast can get 20% off their order by using code SIBOMADESIMPLE. Just click here to learn more.