Have you found that fermented foods, bone broth and wine make you feel sick? Do you sometimes feel edgy, anxious or are unable to sleep? Does your nose stay stuffy year-round to boot? You might be dealing with a histamine intolerance.
In today’s episode, integrative nutritionist Heidi Turner explains how histamine works to support various systems in the body, and the inflammatory effect on those systems when we have too much of it. Heidi specializes in complex health issues including SIBO, autoimmune conditions, histamine intolerance, mast cell activation and food chemical sensitivities, and has counseled thousands of patients on ways to reduce inflammation through dietary change and manipulation of the microbiome.
This chat took me by surprise: I learned so much about the connection between seasonal allergies, sleep, stress and SIBO. And we discuss a tangible path to reversing histamine dis-regulation in just a week. If you’ve been suffering from food sensitivities, even on a low FODMAP diet, this episode is a must listen.A Quick Taste of What We’ll Cover:
- What is histamine and how does it work in the body?
- How over the counter medications work to relieve some histamine symptoms
- Why certain types of excess histamine presents as a runny nose and others affect your gut
- How SIBO can spark the development of histamine intolerance
- Examples of histamine producing foods versus histamine liberating foods
- Testing for histamine intolerance and how to tell if you have it
- The biggest rules of thumb for limiting histamine and how to cook around them
- Long-term approaches to histamine issues and how sleep can be affected
- Supplements you can use for when you have a histamine flare up
- Stress management strategies to help with histamine issues
- Heidi Turner’s website
- SIBO SOS Doctor Directory
- My Rolodex for Holistic Doctors in NYC
- Bi-Phasic low Histamine diet
- Episode 9 on the Bi-Phasic Diet with Dr. Jacobi
- Histamine friendly Instapot bone broth
- Zeolite for binding histamines
- Meditation Apps: Headspace, Insight Timer, 10 Percent Happier
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by Epicured, a low FODMAP meal delivery service that understands that food is medicine. Each menu is created by Michelin star chefs and honed by doctors and dieticians at mount sinaii to restore digestive health for those with IBS, SIBO, Celiac and IBD. Everything they serve is 100 percent low FODMAP and gluten-free, with no cooking required! My favorite part about their dishes is the healthy spin on takeout gems like shrimp laksa and PAD THAI! Their version had a great balance of fresh veggies mixed in with the noodles that left me feeling both satisfied and completely free of my usual carb coma. Listeners to this podcast can get 20% off their order by using code SIBOMADESIMPLE. Just click here to learn more.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.