Welcome BACK to season 2 of SIBO Made Simple! I’m so excited for all that’s to come, but perhaps the most pumped about today’s episode, which is all about digesting for TWO. Believe it or not, one of the most frequent questions I got during season 2 was about either a) fertility and SIBO or b) treating SIBO while pregnant.
Luckily, I was able to bring on the perfect person to guide you through the subject of fertility and child bearing, and give us a more in depth view of how our vaginal ecosystem relates to our gut microbiome. Dr. Aviva Romm is a midwife, herbalist, and Yale-trained MD, Board Certified in Family Medicine with Obstetrics, who has been bridging the best of traditional medicine with good science for over three decades. She is also the author of the fabulous book The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution.
Even if you’re child-free like myself, and not yet on the baby making band wagon, I think you’ll find this episode fascinating because of the wide range of things we cover in regards to women’s health.A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- What gut issues could cause infertility and why
- How the gut microbiome effects the vaginal microbiome
- Estrogen dominance and the downstream effects on fertility
- Leaky gut, vaginal PH and yeast—the role of all three in your procreation plan
- The importance of greening your feminine care products
- What happens to your digestive health during pregnancy, especially to those with Hashimoto’s, Celiac, or another inflammatory condition
- What treatments and herbs to avoid if you are pregnant and have SIBO
- The importance of healthy fats for women and what to do if you’re not digesting them properly
- Strategies for recovering from a C-section for mom and baby to ensure good gut health thereafter
- Dr. Romm’s website
- Dr. Romm’s book, The Adrenal-Thyroid Revolution
- Dr. Romm’s podcast episode on Hashimoto’s and Pregnancy
- Dr. Romm’s podcast episode on Vaginal Seeding
- Dr. Romm’s podcast episode on C-Section prevention
- Phoebe’s post on how to request a full thyroid panel
- Dr. Romm’s favorite pre-natal probiotics: Klaire Labs Therbiotic and Integrative Therapeutics Pro Flora for Women
- Myo-inositol plus selenium for thyroid health
This episode is brought to you by Butcher Box, a service that curates a selection of the best tasting, healthiest meat and poultry delivered to your door every 1 to 3 months. Their animals are grass-fed, organic, always free of antibiotics and hormones, AND a fraction of the price of what you would pay at Whole Foods for a comparable selection. I’ve been a subscriber for over a year and it’s been a game changer for my low FODMAP cooking. Use code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for free shipping, a FREE package of their sugar-free bacon, AND $20 off your first order. Or simply go straight to https://www.butcherbox.com/sibomadesimple to take advantage of this offer.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.