Dress: Fancy has yet to venture off-shore: until now. In this week’s aquatic-themed episode, Lucy introduces Ben to the complex and beautiful world of the merpeople, a diverse community who dress as mermaids and mermen to seek personal and communal fulfilment in the water.
The episode is brought to you in conjunction with Penhaligon’s and their maritime-linked fragrance, Lothair. This intricate perfume is inspired by the famous Tea Clipper Ships that navigated the globe to bring exotic wares to Britain’s shores.
As ever, for accompanying episode images see our Instagram feed at @dressfancypodcast. If you enjoy listening to Dress: Fancy, you’ll probably know somebody else who would, too, so please spread the word. While you’re at, leave a review on Apple iTunes, and provide a suggestion for a fancy dress theme you’d like us to cover in a future show.
- Dress: Fancy Instagram: @dressfancypodcast
- Penhaligon’s Instagram: @penhaligons_london
- Penhaligon’s Lothair fragrance: www.penhaligons.com/lothair/
- Lucy Clayton: @mslucyclayton
- Benjamin Wild: @DrBenjaminWild
- Mermaid training: Mayim UK Mermaid Academy: https://mayimmermaidacademy.co.uk.
- The UK Merlympics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-dorset-45349086/mermaids-compete-in-merlympics-event.
- Swimming like a Mermaid as an ‘extreme sport’: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/may/09/swimming-like-a-mermaid-new-extreme-sport-cornwall
- Laura Evans’ personal story: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/04/experience-professional-mermaid-st-ives
- Mermaids, mermen and body image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opHQnTcuJbw
- Images and stories: https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/04/world/mermaid-portraits-cnnphotos/.