Nikky grew up in Bangkok, Thailand and ventured to Dallas, Texas. She received her Bachelors in Business Administration majoring in Entrepreneur Studies and Marketing from Babson College, in Wellesley, Massachusetts. She continued her studies at El Centro College Culinary School in Dallas, Texas. Since opening Asian Mint in 2004, Phinyawatan has received countless awards and accolades. Over the past 15 years Asian Mint has scaled to three locations within Dallas. In 2018, Nikky took a crack at the fast-casual world with Enjoy Mint, where they serve fast, fresh, Thai Bowls.
Favorite success quote or mantra:
Just go out and do it
In this episode with Nikky Phinyawatana, we discuss:
- Studying entrepreneurship
- Studying at Babson College
- Nikky's mentors
- Learning from observing
- Nikky's upbringing and how it influenced her entrepreneur mentality
- Her father as a mentor
- The importance of having a clear vision and a solid business plan
- Teach by showing not telling
- Failures and overcoming them
- The importance of getting legal paperwork correct prior to opening
- Doing it yourself
- Educating your guests/fans
- You must be authentic
- Have a marketing plan
- Social media marketing
- Kiosk ordering in fast casual
- You must be able to showcase what you sell
- Live and breathe your culture to pass it on to your staff
Wisetail.com, A Premier Learning Management System, Wisetail Grew Up Alongside Some of the Most Recognizable Restaurants In the Industry. This Has Helped Shape Their Product and its Functionality Through Real-World Feedback and Rigorous Testing.
BentoBox helps restaurants grow their business through a connected suite of tools, offering them an integrated website to connect with their guests and drive revenue online. Restaurant owners and operators are able to easily update menus, promote specials, take catering and event inquiries, sell merchandise, gift cards and more.
Revel Systems integrates front of house and back of house operations into a single dashboard. Designed to increase security, stability, ease of use, and speed of service, Revel’s streamlined ecosystem provides businesses with the right tools to grow. Learn more at revelsystems.com/unstoppable.
- Which "it factor" habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- Humbling, grateful, authentic
- What is your biggest weakness?
- What's one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- What's a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Keeping people motivated all the time. Stay motivated.
- Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team?
- Inspire yourself and others
- What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- Do your best with the best intentions
- What's one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
- What's the one thing you feel restaurateurs don't know well enough or do often enough?
- Compliment your employees. Be specific in your compliments.
- What's one piece of technology you've adopted within your four walls restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- If you got the news that you'd be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- Do what you love, love what you do
- Make sure you put your family and friends first
- Know your priorities
Asian Mint website
Enjoy Mint website
Instagram: @nikkyfeedingsouls @asianmint @enjoymintkitchen
YouTube channel: Nikky Feeding Souls
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Nikky Phinyawatana for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!
Restaurant Unstoppable is a free podcast. One of the ways I'm able to make it free is by earning a commission when sharing certain products with you. I've made it a core value to only share tools, resources, and services my guest mentors have recommend, first. If you're finding value in my podcast, please use my links!