Special Guest: Will Bishop
In today’s episode, the iPhreaks panel talks to Will Bishop. Will is 16 years old and is a developer in Australia. He really got into iOS development about a year ago at his school when he had to create an iOS app for one of his classes, which really made him fall in love with iOS app development. They talk about why he decided to create an app just for the Apple Watch, setting yourself apart from big companies, the business model for his apps, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Will intro
- How did you get into writing iOS apps?
- Has interested in technology his whole life
- What’s your first memory with the iPhone?
- Never owned an Android
- His app Chirp for Twitter
- Why did you make an app just for the Apple Watch?
- Set out to make a Reddit app for the Apple Watch originally
- Creating an app for the Apple Watch would set him apart
- Article on Chirp for Twitter
- Filling in the gaps
- Being able to take risks and experiment at his age
- Indie developer going head-to-head with the big companies
- Twitterific pulling the Watch app
- Unify the user experience
- Using UIkit
- Can’t give the same experience as 1st party apps
- New with Watch OS5
- Apple needs to fix WatchKit
- Why companies aren’t creating on the Apple Watch
- What’s the business models for your apps?
- His app Nano for Reddit
- Subscriptions for apps to make a living
- SA Confetti View
- And much, much more!