Aaron and Brian talk about the new partnership with A Cloud Guru, as well as a 2017 Mid-Year update around all things cloud - VMworld ecosystem, Serverless Ecosystem, Kubernetes for All, etc..
- Topic 1 - Something looks and sounds different from normal. Why don’t you tell our listeners what’s going on?
- Topic 2 - Impressions from the VMworld 2017 Keynotes and show floors?
- Topic 3 - In talking to the A Cloud Guru team, we’re starting to see a big trend of people getting cloud training and certifications. Should we be doubling back on fundamental technologies to supplement more complex shows?
- Topic 4 - Are we in a technology lull right now? We had containers a couple years ago, and serverless like 12-18 months ago, but right now it feels like an expansion phase. Thoughts?
- Topic 5 - Let’s talk about some of the trends we’re seeing at this point in 2017:
- All vendors supporting Kubernetes (AWS, Oracle, Microsoft)
- Is it strange that we’re heard almost nothing from Docker since DockerCon and their announcements of a new CEO and the “Moby” project?
- We’re beginning to see some funding in the serverless space (IOpipe, Skippbox acquired by Bitnami, Iron.io at Oracle) and that crazy $140M for Databricks and calling themselves “serverless data science and AI”
- Topic 6 - We saw Amazon acquire Whole Foods recently, as well as getting back into the retail markets (people-less stores). Do you think we’ll start to see their movement into all these adjacent markets impact customers adopting AWS? Apparently Target is now moving off AWS.
- Topic 7 - AUDIENCE QUESTION: We’ve never really focused on SaaS applications, outside of SaaS-based tool that help IT. Does our audience think we should focus on SaaS applications, and if so, which verticals should we target?