Brian talks with William Morgan (@wm, Founder/CEO of @buoyantio) about his background at Twitter, an introduction to Linkerd and the concept of Service Mesh, how Linkerd compares to other application logic, and the role of foundations (e.g. CNCF) vs. communities.
- Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Let’s talk a little bit about your background and why you decided to bring Linkerd and ultimately Buoyant to market.
- Topic 2 - Give us the basics of what Linkerd does and what it is useful for cloud-native applications?
- Topic 3 - You talk about this concept called a “Service Mesh”. What is that and what does it provide for applications?
- Topic 4 - There are existing alternatives to Linkerd in both the platform world (e.g. native Kubernetes services) and the application framework world (e.g. Spring Boot/Cloud). How do you help people sort out when one makes sense vs. another?
- Topic 5 - Linkerd is now an official project within the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF). CNCF now has many projects. Is Buoyant aligning their technology roadmaps to other CNCF projects, or do they tend to operate independently and be driven by customer/community demand?