Brian talks with Keith Townsend (@CTOAdvisor) about the announcements from VMworld 2016 as well their strategy, customer and technologist feedback, and where this large community is moving forward. They also look at some of the changes and challenges facing legacy vendors vs. cloud vendors.
- Topic 1 - Let’s talk about the overall vibe at VMworld 2016. Technologists viewpoint, customers viewpoints, etc.
- Topic 2 - Were you surprised at how much VMware acknowledged the large public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, Google, IBM) after downplaying them or FUD’ing them for so many years?
- Topic 3 - Regardless of the re-naming (Cloud Foundation, Cross-Cloud), VMware is still pushing the SDDC. Lots of vendors now have a complete stack story (Cisco, Oracle, Red Hat, Microsoft, VMware, etc.). Do you see the complete story resonating, or is it still pieces and parts depending on buying areas (Apps vs. Infrastructure)?
- Topic 4 - What is your take on their “Cloud Native” story, between VMware Integrated Containers and Photon Platform?
- Topic 5 - Michael Dell said that the Dell strategy (going forward) is very focused on Private Cloud, and also included VMware’s revenues streams / cash flows as part of the math to make that huge merger work. So is that VMware’s future - primarily a company selling into private data centers?
- Topic 6 - The NSX / Cross-Cloud SaaS-delivered services seem to be one of the core innovation areas. Walk me through your thoughts on that, especially the delivery model.