Among other topics, Yoshua discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
* Supervised verses unsupervised deep learning
* The heart of deep learning: disentangled representations
* The genesis and mission of Element AI
* Exploratory AI research verses applied AI research
* The development of the Montreal Institute of Learning Algorithms (MILA)
* The significance Yoshua places on supportive and collaborative cultures
* The evolution of AI in Montreal
* Yoshua’s concerns bout lethal autonomous weapons (LAWs)
Yoshua Bengio, a pioneer of deep learning, is a Full Professor of the Department of Computer Science and Operations Research at the University of Montreal. Yoshua is also the Director of the Montreal Institute for Learning Algorithms (MILA) and a Senior Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR), where he co-directs its program on deep learning.
Yoshua serves as an adviser to a number of enterprises and is a co-founder of Element AI, a startup that helps organizations embrace AI.
Yoshua is a co-author of the book “Deep Learning” and more than 300 other publications. He currently serves as action editor for the Journal of Machine Learning Research, as an associate editor for the Neural Computation journal, and as an editor for the journal Foundations and Trends in Machine Learning.
Yoshua earned a bachelor’s degree in engineering, a master’s degree in Computer Science, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science, all from McGill University.