Finding out you have a serious medical condition can leave you reeling. These strategies from medical and lay experts will help you be in control as you navigate our complex health care system and get the best possible care.
Here's what to remember:
- Your primary care doctor is the captain of your health care team.
- Don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
- Get organized, and find someone to help you if you can't do it yourself.
- If you need a procedure, go to someone who does it all the time.
- Use the Internet, but use it wisely.
- Figure out what matters to you, and fight for it