We have a prominent leader in women’s medicine, Dr. Jolene Brighten. Dr. Jolene studies the emerging science of Post-Birth Control Syndrome — examining the effects of hormonal birth control on female health.
A fierce patient advocate and completely dedicated to uncovering the root cause of hormonal imbalances, Dr. Brighten empowers women worldwide to take control of their health and their hormones. She is an international speaker, clinical educator, medical advisor within the tech community, and considered a leading authority on women’s health.
Dr. Brighten is also part of the MindBodyGreen Collective and a faculty member for the American Academy of Anti Aging Medicine. Her work has been featured in the New York Post, Forbes, Cosmopolitan, Huffington Post, Bustle, The Guardian, and ABC News.
In this episode, Dr. Brighten opens the show discussing the digestive health issues she had growing up. Eventually, Dr. Brighten realized how big of an impact nutrition has on our everyday health. Plus, Dr. Brighten wants women to know about the enormous problems hormonal birth control can have on women’s bodies and minds. It’s essential that women are educated on the process of birth control and what other options are available. Stay tuned as Dr. Brighten discusses essential fats and what you need to do when detoxifying your body from hormonal birth control.
Dr Phillips CBD Oil, Fruit Chews, Topical Cream | https://www.drphillipscbd.com/ketokamp
Free Keto Guide | http://www.ketokickstartguide.com
[00:20] About Dr. Brighten
- Brighten had digestive issues as a child. After visiting multiple doctors, someone finally realized she had H. pylori.
- pylori lives in the digestive tract. After many years, they can cause ulcers in the lining of the stomach or the upper part of the small intestine.
- Brighten treated her H. pylori. The doctor told her she would need medicine for her entire life to subside the heartburn. Dr. Brighten started doing observations about how her diet was affecting her health. She asked her doctor how her diet could prevent the heartburn, and the doctor said it wouldn’t.
- Brighten started to study naturopathic medicine. She liked the fact that naturopathic medicine would continually ask why.
[09:20] Focusing on Birth Control in Beyond the Pill
- No one is taking a deep dive into birth control.
- There are so many hormone books; yet, over a quarter of all women are using birth control. Women shouldn’t have to go to medical school to learn about birth control.
- Women need to detox their liver and body after hormonal birth control. Most people can do this in two weeks.
- “You only write a book if you can’t not write that book.” -Dr. Brighten
- Brighten wrote a book that she wishes she had when she was in her reproductive years. She had no idea what would happen when she went on birth control. Dr. Brighten went through her twenties, thinking this is how it feels to get older.
- We need significant changes in women's medicine.
[13:50] Common Birth Control Issues
- Everyone knows that low libido can happen; they just don’t know that it can happen to them.
- Birth control can cause insulin issues in some women. If you are on birth control and enter menopause later in life, you are more likely to develop diabetes.
- Always view everything in the lens that is true for you.
- The same pill can affect two women very differently. One woman may feel no depression side effects while the other gets crippling depression.
- Depending on your family history, you could be more likely to develop certain diseases while on birth control.
- Birth control can cause inflammation, and inflammation can change our mood. Birth control can also cause nutrient deficiency.
[20:35] Symptoms After Stopping Birth Control
- Getting your period for the first time is a significant hormonal shift.
- Birth control will stop your brain from talking to your ovaries. When you come off birth control, it’s a big hormonal transition.
- Some women will lose their period for three to six months.
- If you’re not getting a period, you may not be getting enough hormones that will protect your entire body.
- Work with a doctor so you can navigate your hormonal system.
- Your body is always detoxifying hormones. If your body is deficient in nutrients, then you may be shutting down primary communication in the body. We need to support the liver. Some women may get liver tumors on birth control.
- Get great sleep! You need deep sleep to recover.
- Think about the things that you should stop taking in rather than what you should be taking more of.
- Also, consider the relationships that you have in your life. Do you have a coworker that doesn’t make you happy? Pause from hanging out with them. You don’t have to ditch people forever, but you need to consider your own energy while healing.
[35:40] Saturated Fats and Cholesterol For Hormonal Health
- When it comes to cholesterol and saturated fats, they are healthy components of a diet. Where are you getting your fat-soluble nutrients from? They will come from eating fats. We need what mother nature made rather than what chemists made.
- Saturated fats are part of our cellular makeup.
- Fat-free is the worst thing that you can do to your hormones.
- There is no bad food – it’s only what works for you and what doesn’t work for you.
- If you’re having bad cramps, eat more omega-3s.
- For vegans and vegetarians – you will not have natural estrogen on hormonal birth control. Try eating algae.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
R E S O U R C E S
Dr Phillips CBD Oil, CBD Keto Fruit Chews, & More: https://www.drphillipscbd.com/ketokamp
➡️The World's Best Olive Oil | Get a $39 Bottle For a $1: http://www.ketokampoliveoil.com
☕Healthiest Coffee: http://www.ketokampcoffee.com Use "ketokamp" for 10% off
➡️Keto Kamp Apparel: http://www.ketokampgear.com
🎓Want to become a keto and fasting pro? Keto Kamp Academy: http://bit.ly/2MKEkWW
*Some Links Are Affiliates*
// F O L L O W
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
▸ linkedin | http://bit.ly/2PNRh40
▸ email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.