On today's episode of The Keto Kamp Podcast, we have Dr. David Jockers, a natural health doctor, functional nutritionist, corrective care chiropractor, exercise physiologist, and certified strength & conditioning specialist. He currently owns and operates Exodus Health Center in Kennesaw, Georgia.
He is also the author of the best-selling book “SuperCharge Your Brain” the complete guide to radically improve your mood, memory and mindset and the SuperCharged Recipe book with over 180 full-color recipes to help you take back control of your health. He has developed six revolutionary online programs with thousands of participants.
These programs include E-guides, recipe guides, meal plans and video instructions including “The Sugar Detox,” “The Cancer Cleanse,” “Navigating the Ketogenic Diet,” and “The Digestive Health Restoration Program,” and “The AutoImmune Elimination Program” and the “Super Brain Program.”
Dr. Jockers is a sought after speaker around the country on such topics as weight loss, brain health, functional exercise, natural detoxification, and disease prevention. Dr. Jockers sees patients at his clinic, Exodus Health Center, to help customize specific lifestyle plans to help individuals improve performance and beat chronic disease.
In this episode, Dr. Jockers opens to the show explaining the benefits of fasting – with fasting, you can maintain weight, muscle mass, and create balance. Plus, Dr. Jockers describes the benefits fasting can have to fight cancer. Stay tuned to hear Dr. Jockers talk about what you need to do if you are plateauing on the ketogenic diet, and he speaks about his latest book, Keto Metabolic Breakthrough.
[00:25] About Dr. Jockers
- Eventually, Dr. Jockers developed irritable bowel issues and lost thirty pounds. He went from 170 lbs to 130 lbs and had a chronic gut infection. Dr. Jockers started to listen to his body and only ate when he was hungry. At this point, he started playing with intermittent fasting.
- Jockers developed skin cancer. It was a wake-up call to create balance in his life. After doing some research, Dr. Jockers found the ketogenic diet. Eventually, his skin cancer went away after implementing the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting.
[07:00] The Benefits of Fasting
- Jockers is trying to maintain his weight and muscle mass. It is easier for him to maintain his muscle mass with fasting. Dr. Jockers likes to fast for brain function – it allows him to think sharply and quickly.
- Fasting will also help you feel stronger when lifting.
- Plus, there are mental and emotional benefits of fasting.
- Jockers doesn’t eat while traveling – there is no need for it.
- It’s hard for Dr. Jockers to fast through lunch. He fasts through dinner quite often. Having a break during the day is a ritual for most of us. We are addicted to our rituals, and our rituals revolve around food.
- “The quality of our lives is all about building resiliency.” -Dr. Jockers
[10:50] Fasting Fights Cancer
- If we are continually stimulating insulin in our body, then we are unable to heal.
- All of our cells need repair; they are damaged by stress, so we need a regular repair process. We need to take our damaged cells and repair them.
- It is more energy efficient to repair cells, then replace cells.
- Cancer is driven by the constant signal to grow. When we remove the signal to grow, then the body can repair. People are worried that fasting will remove muscle. However, the body will get the signal to stay strong and fast.
- Fasting will result in an increase in strength. Once you get going to the gym, you will feel just as strong if not stronger. Training is the number one stimulus for muscle growth.
[15:50] Does Glucose or Fat Produce More Energy?
- Glucose is the fastest process.
- Burning fat is going to take a lot longer.
- Burning ketones and fatty acids will produce more energy with fewer waste.
- If we have carbs, we will want to burn those fast. Being metabolically flexible is the ability to switch back and forth.
- Without food, our body can burn fat and ketones for fuel.
[19:15] The Best Foods to Eat on a Keto Diet
- Diets need to be customized.
- People do the best with grass-fed meats, organic eggs, avocados, olives, olive oils, green vegetables, dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, lemons, and limes.
- You can get most of the benefits of fruits from lemons and limes. Plus, the lemons and limes do not have sugar. Sour foods are good for stimulating bile and stomach acid. Most people have no idea how to stimulate these things.
- If you are metabolically flexible, then berries are a great source. Consuming too many berries will not allow your body to go into ketosis.
- We are not getting enough fat-soluble vitamin A. You can find in egg yolk, grass-fed butter, and organ meat.
- We should do things that stimulate our stomach acid and bile. Bile will sterilize the small intestine.
[26:50] The Biggest Mistake on the Ketogenic Diet
- Not including enough herbs is the biggest mistake on the ketogenic diet.
- Often, people are eating too many dairy products and not enough herbs. Some people feel better with less vegetables. However, they will still do well with ginger tea and herbs with their meats.
[28:00] What to do When You Are Plateauing
- Find out why you are plateauing. Are you actually getting into ketosis?
- When you are in ketosis, you should not have cravings.
- If you are not feeling energetic in ketosis, you may have a thyroid issue. Are the outer-third of your eyebrows thinning? This is a common sign of thyroid problems.
- Test your fasting insulin. You want to see it between two and five.
- Check for food sensitivity – you may have a sensitivity to coffee, eggs, or dairy. You can also do your own testing by putting something on your tongue and measuring your pulse.
- Some people need more stress on their system. Intermittent fasting will ramp up fat burning. Exercise will also help. You can also stress your body with temperature changes using cold showers and saunas.
[38:30] About Keto Metabolic Breakthrough
- It’s a functional medicine approach to the ketogenic diet.
- In the book, Dr. Jockers explains how to carb cycle and how to overcome plateaus.
- If you have too much stress on your system, you may not be able to get into ketosis.
- The book is released on January 28th, and you can reserve a copy HERE.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
➡️Check out this keto beginners kit: http://www.ketokampkit.com
💊Systemic formulas D digest link: http://bit.ly/2Iy9leA
➡️Keto Mojo link: http://bit.ly/2KJSGHX
💊Systemic Formulas BIND: http://bit.ly/2XPQCSl
👇Low Carb | Keto Events to Attend:
➡️PaleoFX. I’ll be speaking at PaleoFX Austin, TX April 2020 http://bit.ly/2srqdQt
➡️Keto Symposium Link May 2020 Greenwich, Connecticut: http://bit.ly/2QAjQ5j
➡️KetoCon in Austin, Texas. Get your tickets here: http://bit.ly/358khJm
➡️The World's Best Olive Oil | Get a $39 Bottle For a $1: http://www.ketokampoliveoil.com
☕Healthiest Coffee: http://www.ketokampcoffee.com Use "ketokamp" for 10% off
➡️Keto Kamp Apparel: http://www.ketokampgear.com
🎓Want to become a keto and fasting pro? Keto Kamp Academy: http://bit.ly/2MKEkWW
*Some Links Are Affiliates*
▸ instagram | @thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2B1NXKW
▸ facebook | /thebenazadi | http://bit.ly/2BVvvW6
▸ twitter | @thebenazadi http://bit.ly/2USE0so
▸ linkedin | http://bit.ly/2PNRh40
▸ email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.