Welcome to the Keto Kamp Podcast Episode 82 with Dr. Will Cole
Today, have here with me, Dr. Will Cole, senior clinic director; he is uniquely skilled and experienced at finding the root physiological, biochemical, and hormonal causes underlying many diseases.
Dr. Cole has broken free from the limiting approach of “standard care,” which most often calls upon drugs and hormones as a first defense against these diseases without a real inspection as to the underlying root causes and contributing factors to each individual’s presenting complaints.
Dr. Cole, leading a functional-medicine expert, consults people around the world via webcam and locally in Pittsburgh. He specializes in clinically investigating underlying factors of chronic disease and customizing health programs for thyroid issues, autoimmune conditions, hormonal dysfunctions, digestive disorders, and brain problems.
Dr. Cole was named one of the top 50 functional-medicine and integrative doctors in the nation and is a health expert and course instructor for the world’s largest wellness brands such as mindbodygreen and goop.
In this episode, Dr. Cole opens the show explaining the problem behind inflammation and the connection between our mental health and physical health. Then, Dr. Cole describes the problems with inflammation in our cells and reveals the worst inflammation habits, including sitting, screen time, and lack of purpose. Stay tuned to hear about foods to cut for preventing inflammation and the top labs your local doctor can do.
[01:30] Why Inflammation is a Problem
- Find out what your body loves so you can find food peace.
- Inflammation is a product of our immune system. It heals wounds and is essential for human existence. When inflammation is thrown out of balance, it becomes linked to every health problem under the sun.
- Inflammation is even seen in the mental health space.
- Research is looking at how inflammation is changing how our brain works.
- “Mental health is physical health.” -Dr. Will Cole
[04:30] Eating Less and Moving More with Inflammation
- There may be some weight loss, but they will not see sustainable results.
- Weight gain and weight-loss resistance will occur with inflammation.
- You have to deal with the underlying cause of weight-loss resistance.
- People are spending their lives in a vicious cycle of fad diets. People do not understand what the underlying issues are.
[06:45] Problems with Inflammation Around Our Cells
- We are made up of cells. If we have cellular inflammation, then the person is inflamed.
- Hormones are the language of our bodies. If the cells are resistant, then there is no body talk.
[10:30] Moving Beyond Limitation
- Avoid The Core Four:
- Added Sugar
- Canola and Vegetable Oil
- The Eliminate Track:
- Nuts and Seeds
- Find out what your body loves and find out what your body hates. There are different plans in the book based on The Inflammation Spectrum.
- When you reduce inflammation, you will feel better.
[14:00] It Differs From an Elimination Diet
- An elimination diet is a gold standard for health and wellness.
- Cole is not a fan of food sensitivity labs. You have to deal with the gut that is reacting to foods in the first place. People will design their whole diet based on their spit at seven in the morning.
- The book is all about learning how you feel. Whereas, an elimination diet is not properly formulated. Plus, there is not enough talk about reintroducing foods into your diet.
- The main difference is talking about nonfood things. The diet is not just about food. If you are immersed in FOMO and stress, it will impact your health.
[17:40] Inflammatory Habits
- Prolonged sitting
- Get moving. Studies show that sitting is the new smoking.
- Screen time
- Monkey mind
- Our culture is overstimulating. People are not centered or having present moments.
- Toxin exposure
- Cleaning products can be a toxin.
- People do not question what things we are putting on our bodies.
- Social media addiction
- Lack of purpose
- Change your situation or change your relationship with your situation. It’s not practical to quit your job.
[28:15] Dr. Cole’s Favorite Tool
- Cole’s favorite tool is active stillness that brings center and present moment.
- We have to get our heads and our hearts right.
- People need to treat themselves with the utmost respect. You can’t heal a body that you hate.
- Stress has a negative impact on our hormones.
[32:30] Top Labs for Inflammation
- You can get basic labs from your local doctor.
- Gut health tests can also indicate inflammation. There is a lot of gut centric inflammation going on for people.
- “You don’t want to hang your hat on one lab.” -Dr. Will Cole
- The lab reference range does not look at optimal health. You will need to look at the function range.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.