Today, I am grateful to have here with me, Dr. Jeff Matheson, co-founder of an all-natural migraine and headache centre, which promotes a non-narcotic approach to pain and headache management. Plus, Dr. Jeff Matheson is the co-founder and medical director of Pure Life Science.
Dr. Jeff Matheson successfully practiced medicine in emergency departments across Canada and internationally, from Ontario, Newfoundland, and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. He later was appointed Medical Director of Med-EmergInc in 1998, a company dedicated to staffing underserved hospitals in Canada.
Dr. Matheson has traveled extensively throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and South East Asia and well as Oceania. According to Dr. Matheson, “traveling is the best education!” Dr. Matheson is an enthusiastic believer, as well as being immersed in other cultures. Similarly, if one does not listen to patients, one won’t hear what is necessary to understand the patient’s problem, i.e., the patient’s “culture.”
It is with this ability to listen and empathize with the patients that Dr. Matheson allows an accurate diagnosis and develop sustainable solutions, optimizing health, and patient outcomes. If a solution cannot be determined, resources will be dedicated, through the involvement of alternative care specialists, ascertaining the best possible treatment for the patient by trying to treat causes, not just manage symptoms.
In this episode, Dr. Matheson opens up the show discussing his introduction to the ketogenic diet and how exactly quality fats will promote health. Dr. Matheson dives deep into the relationship between the cell membrane and our DNA. Plus, he speaks about the troubles of fish oil and why we should never take the supplement. Stay tuned to hear Dr. Matheson reveal other damaging fats for our bodies and all about his Pure Form Omegas.
PureForm Plant Based Omegas: http://bit.ly/2OL0FWU
[05:45] About Dr. Matheson
- Matheson realized there was no standardization for pain management in Canada. He created a standardization; now, all pain clinics need to use his system.
- Matheson had all sorts of pain himself. After trying a specific diet, all of the pain melted away. Then, he started prescribing the diet to his patients, who had similar results.
- Now, Dr. Matheson wants to introduce people to the proper fats for our bodies. Bad fats can harm you just as much as carbohydrates can.
[11:10] How Quality Fats Promote Health
- The structure of the cell is based on fat. The cell membrane is a fatty membrane. If you do not have a membrane, then you do not have a cell. If we are putting bad fats in our bodies, then we will have a weak cell membrane.
- How does the cell membrane interact with the rest of the cell? The mitochondria are also made up of fats – it is loaded with the membrane. Unhealthy cell membranes will result in lethargy.
[13:40] Relationship Between the Cell Membrane and our DNA
- 25% - 33% of your cell membrane is made up of omega-6.
- 40% of your mitochondria membrane is made up of omega-6.
- 100% of your cardiolipin is made up of omega-6. When you keep DNA under repair, you need proper omega-6.
- Our brains take 20% of our metabolic energy.
- If our mitochondria have bad fats in them, it can’t produce the energy that the nucleus requires to stay healthy. We are being damaged by radiation, so it requires a lot of energy to keep it repaired. If we can’t keep it repaired, we will run into mutations and possibly cancers.
[16:20] What’s the Issue with Fish Oil?
- Fish oil became popular when researchers found out Inuit people had low rates of heart disease. They assumed their pristine health was because of eating so much fish. However, the Inuit people didn’t eat that much fish. Their diets consisted mostly of seal, whale, and blubber.
- Most fish oil studies are not very well done scientifically.
- Fish oils are way too unstable for humans to be consuming. It is taxing our ability to keep the oil from oxidizing. A majority of the fish oil on the shelves are already oxidized – there is no way that can be healthy for you.
- It turns out that you only need 4.3 milligrams of DHA a day for a healthy brain.
- Matheson is amazed at how many punches the human body can take and still function.
[22:10] How to Get DHA Without Fish Oil
- Most people get enough DHA.
- DHA can hang around the brain for about 18 months. There isn’t a significant turnover, and we do not need tons of it.
- You have to have the right fats to make DHA in the first place.
[23:00] Where Does the Fish Oil End Up?
- The fish oil will get broken down. The body will recognize it as a toxin.
- Most of the fish oil is artificial, and the body cannot even recognize its chemical makeup.
- You can decrease the efficiency of mitochondria by introducing DHA.
[28:30] The Most Pristine Fish Oil in the World
- Your body can get rid of the fish oil pretty fast.
- If you are on fish oil for a month, do you feel any better on it?
- If you feel good on the fish oil, then something positive is happening.
- Fish oil can have a cortisol effect at first. However, it is not a long-term or healthy effect.
[36:40] Damaging Fats
- Plant oils that are processed and rancid olive oils.
- When you oxidize an oil, it starts to smell bad. So, the manufactures deodorize the oil. Now, the oil cannot take oxygen. Putting that oil in your cell membrane will result in the Warburg Effect. If you decrease the oxygen in your cells, then they will turn cancerous.
- 60% of us will get cancer in our lifetime. In the 1900s, it was 3%.
[43:30] About Pure Form Omegas
- Pure Form is all organized and cold-pressed under a blanket of nitrogen. The oil has not touched oxygen, and every capsule has a bubble in it.
- We used to eat things straight from the ground. Now, we don’t have a choice anymore.
- People will feel the difference, and they will feel it quickly.
AND MUCH MORE!
Resources from this episode:
Disclaimer: This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.