On today’s episode, Trevor discusses the importance of being mindful and breathing. He’s then joined by Laura Germine, PhD, technical director of the McLean Institute for Technology in Psychiatry, who talks about her non-traditional career path.
A type 1 diabetes diagnosis in graduate school led Laura to change her career focus to research. She was recently awarded one of the largest grants in McLean’s history to study type 1 diabetes and mental health. She also discusses use of technology in mental health treatment and research and the website she created, Test My Brain.
– Laura explains the continuous glucose monitor installed in her leg that monitors her sugar levels (07:25)
– Laura discusses the website she created in college, TestMyBrain.org, which has over 2.5 million users (15:41)
– Laura has suffered from panic attacks since her youth (26:20)
– Laura Germine, PhD: mclean.link/f2r
– A Researcher’s Journey From Tinkerer to Innovator to Mentor: mclean.link/zyc
– Can Smartphones and Digital Health Trackers Revolutionize Mental Health Care?: mclean.link/fds
- - -
The McLean Hospital podcast Mindful Things is intended to provide general information and to help listeners learn about mental health, educational opportunities and research initiatives. This podcast is not an attempt to practice medicine or to provide specific medical advice.
© 2019 McLean Hospital. All Rights Reserved.