Host: Dhru Purohit
Guest: Dr. Gabrielle Lyon
We use our muscles every day—from our brain to our quads—for the smallest and the biggest tasks. Muscles make up an impressive 45% of our body mass. Did you know that muscle is an endocrine organ and regulates metabolism? Did you know that using your muscles actually can help reduce systemic inflammation?
Today on The Broken Brain Podcast, Functional Medicine practitioner Dr. Gabrielle Lyon joins our host, Dhru Purohit, to talk about muscles and optimizing our body composition by eating protein, strength training, and more. Dr. Lyon specializes in muscle-centric medicine and works with her patients to fine-tune metabolism, balance hormones, and transform body composition.
If you want to learn all about protein, and what it can do for your muscles, how it can increase your energy, and increase your longevity, I hope you’ll tune in to our podcast.
In this episode, we dive into:
* Muscle: The organ of longevity (2:18)
* Obesogenic sarcopenia—what does that mean? (5:08)
* Brain and muscle health in the aging (8:13)
* Importance of maintaining muscle (10:18)
* Everything you need to know about protein (13:21)
* Sources of protein (15:58)
* Plant-based protein (18:04)
* Dr. Lyon’s personal daily diet (20:18)
* Aging healthfully (25:26)
* Building muscle—where to start? (27:51)
* How do I prioritize protein correctly in my daily diet? (32:55)
* Dr. Lyon’s favorite protein supplements (36:06)
* How can the right protein change my life? (37:43)