Photo by Kevin Dooley via Flickr
How do you help boys deal with change and anxiety? And how can parents deal with boys' incessant energy?
Those are just a few of the questions we tackle in our first listener Q & A
How do you help boys adjust to change and uncomfortable situations (new school, daycare, meeting new kids...)?
Eden and Katie also wanted advice on helping boys (and themselves) cope with anxiety, albeit at different ends of the age spectrum. Eden asked:
How do you help your teen boy with anxiety?
while Katie said
My 3.5 year old boy strongly dislikes going to preschool. He started 3 months ago. The teachers reassure me that after I leave, he adjusts and is fine. However, it feels awful to force him through the front door, with the teacher grabbing him on the other side, and him saying he doesn't want to go? Any tips?
Ashley -- an introvert -- asked how to cope with her energetic boys:
I have 3 boys who love to roughhouse ALL the time. I'm an introvert and thrive in quiet environments. I'm struggling to adjust to the natural rambunctious behavior of little boys.
In this episode, Janet & Jen discuss:
* Helping boys adjust to change and uncomfortable situations
* How age and personality affect boys' response to change
* Working with your son to increase his comfort level
* Using playacting & anticipatory guidance to prepare boys for new situations
* Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for anxiety and depression
* Affordable at-home treatment for anxiety
* Differentiating anxiety from nervousness and excitement
* Separation anxiety
* Tips for dealing with overwhelm
* The importance of self-care for introverted boy parents
* How you can make your house more movement-friendly
Links we mentioned (or should have) in this episode:
Helping Teens Cope with Anxiety, Depression & More
-- ON BOYS episode
Anxiety & Depression in Boys -
- ON BOYS episode
COPE (Creating Opportunities for Personal Empowerment)
-- evidence-based program proven to help kids with anxiety & depression (mentioned at 7:14)
Age of Anxiety: Are We "Pathologizing" Normal Emotion?
-- article mentioned at 10:18
The Kissing Hand
, by Audrey Penn -- book mentioned at 15:35 (great for those dealing with separation anxiety!)
Meagan Francis of The Mom Hour: Parenting in the Digital Age
-- ON BOYS episode
4 Ways to Make Your Home Movement-Friendly
-- Understanding Boys
article by Jen
Learning to Live with Boys (w Katy Rank Lev)
-- ON BOYS episode mentioned at 23:44
LIKE THIS EPISODE? Share it with your friends (and thanks!):