In this episode we talk with Lewis First, MD and Alex Kemper, MD about studies published in the last year that could change the way you practice pediatrics.
Dr. First (@lewis_first) is Professor and Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont and Chief of Pediatrics at the University of Vermont Children’s Hospital. He serves as the Editor-in-Chief of Pediatrics, the peer-reviewed medical journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Dr. Alex Kemper (@AlexRKemper) is the Division Chief of Primary Care Pediatrics at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and Professor of Pediatrics at The Ohio State University College of Medicine. He serves as the Deputy-Editor-in-Chief of Pediatrics.
Articles Covered that can be found from Pediatrics:
- Vaccines Updates - What can pediatricians do to increase vaccination rates in their practice?
- How to evaluate a febrile infant under 2 months of age
- Issues in Adolescent and Teen Patients — Suicidality and identifying risk
- Cannabis Concentrate and Cannabinoids — Impact on children and adolescents, including vaping
- LGBTQ Patient Care, including bullying issues and impact/outcomes based on state legislation (i.e. Proposition 8 from California)
- Smoking and Vaping - Combustable cigarettes and e-cigarettes
- CRAFFT instrument - Adapted screening for teens with substance abuse disorders
- Firearm Safety and Protection of Children from Firearms - Where pediatric firearm mortality has occurred relative to gun laws in the United States; morbidity and mortality of children in homes with firearms
- Telehealth - Quality of Care, antibiotic prescribing stewardship, patient satisfaction for Telehealth visits
- Electronic vs Print Books in Kids — Parents interact more with their children when they use a traditional print book than an ebook.
- Maintenance of Certification - Importance of improving quality of care
This episode was recorded live from the 2019 AAP NCE in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Do you have a question about this episode or a suggestion for a future topic? Write to us, firstname.lastname@example.org