As a child, DJ Batiste didn’t have the skills he needed to behave or succeed in school. He was expelled from preschool and often kicked out of classrooms before becoming involved with gangs and increasingly serious trouble. During his senior year of high school, DJ’s life changed when he walked into
the classroom of Donna Porter, a teacher implementing Conscious Discipline. For the first time, DJ had a teacher who didn’t tell him, “Get out.” Instead, she connected with him. That connection paved the way for DJ to learn valuable skills that he continues to use today.
Listen in as DJ discusses the powerful impact of teachers, the vital skill of composure, and how teachers like you can connect with other “DJ’s” and change their life trajectory for the better. As DJ says, “Never
question the power you have as a teacher… You can choose to create more success stories and less statistics.”
• If a child is told he’s bad often enough, he begins to believe that is who he is. The way we see children matters.
• Meet your students where they are, accept them where they are, and build. Your first encounter with a student may be a disrespectful one. It is how you respond that sets the tone for the relationship.
• Composure is the first skill of Conscious Discipline. Without it, accessing the other skills is impossible. Before attempting other skills, learn to quit taking student behavior personally and to compose yourself before responding.
• A great teacher’s true intent is to teach and not to punish.
Teach discipline skills more than once, the same way we continue to teach academic skills until they are mastered. Give children a fresh start every day.
• ConsciousDiscipline.com (https://consciousdiscipline.com/)
• Video: From Gang Leader to Graduate: A Conscious Discipline Transformation
• Video: DJ Batiste Teaches “Words Have Power” (https://consciousdiscipline.com/videos/dj-
• Podcast: The Transformational Power of Connection with DJ Batiste
• Video: DJ Batiste Explains “Preschool Expulsions Lead to Destruction”
• Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
• Creating the School Family (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/creating-the-school-family/)
• School Family Job Set (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/school-family-job-set/)
• Brain State Poster Set (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/brain-state-poster-set/)
Seven Skills Poster Set (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/seven-skills-poster-set/)
0:22 What is Conscious Discipline?
1:18 The power of teachers
2:14 Introduction of guest DJ Batiste and DJ’s story
4:15 It’s never too late to change the brain
4:53 Self-fulfilling prophecy
9:30 Learning new tools for managing student behavior
16:58 The skill of composure
20:18 Be persistent with teaching discipline skills
23:30 Give children a fresh start every day
25:23 What’s Becky up to?
25:58 What’s Becky celebrating?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.