Since Dr. Becky Bailey started Conscious Discipline more than 20 years ago, it has played an integral role in supporting the development of children with special needs. Core tenets like safety, connection, self-regulation and social skills development are vital for all children, but they are especially helpful for
children with special needs.
In this episode, Katie Keller, a school social worker in Minnesota, discusses how she uses Feeling Buddies and Baby Doll Circle Time to build important skills in self-contained classrooms. She shares the powerful results she’s observed, including an improved ability to calm and soothe, increased empathy, and gentler play and interactions in the classroom.
• Children who are aggressive with peers and/or toys learn to be kind, loving, and gentle with the baby dolls during Baby Doll Circle Time.
• Baby Doll Circle Time also allows children to experience or recreate the connections they may not have had when they were younger.
• Children work toward goals like soft touch, fostering connections, and following directions.
• With Feeling Buddies, children develop the ability to recognize and accept emotions. This helps with empathy and self-regulation. It reduces the time it takes children to work through their upsets.
• If children are hesitant to participate in these activities, be patient and wait them out, letting them know that they’re safe and they can handle it. Add visuals. Gradually, children will begin to participate.
• ConsciousDiscipline.com (https://consciousdiscipline.com/)
• Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-
• Baby Doll Circle Time (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/sophies-
• Webinar: Proven Success Strategies for Children with Special Needs
• Free Resource: Safe Place Sensory Integration Signs
• CLASSROOM EDITION: Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit
• CLASSROOM EDITION: Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Deluxe Toolkit, Bilingual
• Baby Doll Circle Time Value Pack (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/baby-doll-circle-
• El Círculo de los Bebés Paquete Especial (https://consciousdiscipline.com/product/el-circulo-de-
• HOME EDITION: Feeling Buddies for Families Toolkit
0:20 What is Conscious Discipline?
0:50 Background on implementing Conscious Discipline with children with special needs
2:41 Introduction of guest Katie Keller
3:15 How Katie uses Baby Doll Circle Time and Feeling Buddies
3:50 Baby Doll Circle Time in a self-contained classroom
5:08 Results of using Baby Doll Circle Time
6:38 Feeling Buddies in a self-contained classroom
9:12 Results of using Feeling Buddies
10:50 Combining Baby Doll Circle Time with Feeling Buddies
13:30 Summary of results and advice for others
16:15 What’s Becky up to?
17:06 What’s Becky celebrating?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.