People often ask, “Is Conscious Discipline culturally sensitive?” and “Will Conscious Discipline work in my country?” The answer to both questions is, “Yes.” Conscious Discipline is brain-based and rooted in neuroscience. It’s also built on the Power of Unity, the idea that we’re all in this together. In addition, Conscious Discipline is more of a practice or philosophy than a proscriptive, step-by-step approach. This allows for easy adaptation and customization as needed. In fact, Conscious Discipline is currently practiced in at least 47 countries.
In this podcast, Dr. Bailey is joined by special guest Suad Al-Salem, a counselor at My Little School in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. At My Little School, Conscious Discipline is integrated into every part of a child’s day. Suad shares her experience with successfully practicing Conscious Discipline in Saudi Arabia, plus tips on effectively and empathetically responding to resistance.
• The Power of Unity means that Conscious Discipline is built on commonalities, not differences. Unity supports, encourages, and allows for our individuality and uniqueness to blossom.
• Different countries and cultures can customize their practice of Conscious Discipline however they see fit. A school in Sri Lanka, for instance, made their Safe Place a temple, representing wisdom and rejuvenation.
• If others resist implementation of Conscious Discipline, continue embracing them as part of the School Family without pressuring them. Accept their resistance and take baby steps. Often, as people feel a sense of belonging and see the positive changes, they will move from resistance to acceptance (and sometimes even enthusiasm).
• At Suad’s school in Saudi Arabia, parents are excited about Conscious Discipline. They want implementation to expand and continue beyond sixth grade. Parents say that the difference in children who attend My Little School is very noticeable.
• The NEW Conscious Discipline Book- Expanded and Updated (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/conscious-discipline-core/products/the-new-conscious-discipline-book-expanded-updated)
• Creating the School Family (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/school-family/products/creating-the-school-family)
:22 What is Conscious Discipline?
:40 Conscious Discipline internationally
3:51 Introduction of guest Suad Al-Salem
4:51 Suad’s introduction to Conscious Discipline
6:25 What Conscious Discipline looks like at My Little School
7:34 Schools in Saudi Arabia
9:23 How Suad uses Conscious Discipline in her role at MLS
10:30 Teaching Conscious Discipline to children’s nannies
12:54 Getting parents involved with Conscious Discipline
16:00 Responding to resistance
18:44 How Suad uses Conscious Discipline at home
23:15 Showing parents they are part of the School Family
23:46 What’s Becky up to?
24:08 What’s Becky celebrating?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.