From being expelled as a preschooler to joining a gang by the age of nine, DJ Batiste was a troubled child until his life was turned around his senior year of high school. The first day of his senior year, DJ walked into a class that utilized the powers and skills of Conscious Discipline. Ms. Donna Porter used the skills she had learned through Conscious Discipline to make a connection with DJ. That one connection began a transformation in DJ’s life that set him on a new trajectory of success.
Listen in as DJ Batiste shares his personal story of transformation and the teacher that started it all. DJ encourages teachers—and all adults—to see misbehavior and children who misbehave differently, build connections, and teach skills. Children who do not have a sense of belonging will create their own, often leading them down a destructive path. Connection, on the other hand, builds a bridge to healing and growth. DJ’s inspirational story reminds educators of the power they have to permanently change lives for the better.
• ConsciousDiscipline.com (https://consciousdiscipline.com/)
• Gang Leader to Graduate: A Conscious Discipline Transformation (https://consciousdiscipline.com/videos/gang-leader-to-graduate-a-conscious-discipline-transformation/)
• DJ Batiste Teaches “Words Have Power” (https://consciousdiscipline.com/videos/dj-batiste-former-gang-leader-teaches-words-have-power/)
• Seven Powers (https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/seven-powers/)
• Seven Skills (https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/seven-skills/)
• The NEW Conscious Discipline Book- Expanded and Updated (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/conscious-discipline-core/products/the-new-conscious-discipline-book-expanded-updated)
• Creating the School Family (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/school-family/products/creating-the-school-family)
:50 What is Conscious Discipline?
1:15 Introduction of special guest DJ Batiste
3:56 DJ’s background
5:58 Importance of teaching skills instead of shutting students out
6:45 Why some students fear school
10:25 Importance of composure
12:20 DJ’s story of meeting the teacher who changed his life
17:53 Making every day a fresh start
20:30 Connection instead of correction
27:27 Making the most of every opportunity to change a life
30:39 Everything starts with connection
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes? Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! And don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.