Many people believe that Conscious Discipline is an early childhood program. In reality, Conscious Discipline is a life practice appropriate for all ages. It’s a mindset shift and skillset upgrade that we use to manage our thoughts, emotions, and behavior. This allows us to set and achieve goals and solve problems or conflicts. Social emotional learning has no age limit—Conscious Discipline can and does work with older children.
Listen as Kristin Abel, the pioneer of Conscious Discipline implementation with older children, shares her tips for success. Kristin is a National Board Certified teacher with 25 years of experience in education. She has used Conscious Discipline for the majority of her career, mostly with fifth grade students, and has trained both middle and high school teachers. Kristin is currently a dean of students. If you’ve ever wondered how to use Conscious Discipline with older children, this episode has the inspiration and advice you need to get started.
• ConsciousDiscipline.com (https://consciousdiscipline.com/)
• Kristin Abel, Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor (https://consciousdiscipline.com/professional-development/instructors/kristin-abel/)
• Seven Powers (https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/seven-powers/)
• Seven Skills (https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/seven-skills/)
• Safe Place (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/shuberts-classroom/safe-place/)
• Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/shuberts-classroom/feeling-buddies-self-regulation-toolkit/)
• Greetings (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/entrance/greetings/)
• Creating the School Family (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/school-family/products/creating-the-school-family)
• Self-Regulation Value Pack (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/the-safe-place/products/self-regulation-value-pack)
• CLASSROOM EDITION: Feeling Buddies Self-Regulation Toolkit (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/feeling-buddies/products/feeling-buddies-self-regulation-toolkit-english-only)
• Feeling Buddies Basic Toolkit for Classrooms (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/feeling-buddies/products/feeling-buddies-basic-toolkit-for-classrooms)
• Shubert’s BIG Voice (https://shop.consciousdiscipline.com/collections/shubert-sophie/products/shuberts-big-voice)
:23 What is Conscious Discipline?
:50 What are real teachers?
1:31 Conscious Discipline for all ages
5:05 Introduction of guest Kristin Abel
6:29 Kristin’s decision to try Conscious Discipline with older children
7:53 Children take skills with them into middle and high school
8:37 Story of a former student (now a senior) continuing to use Conscious Discipline
10:27 Academic results of using Conscious Discipline
11:33 Powers, skills, and structures
12:14 Adapting powers, skills, and structures to older children
14:50 Why older children don’t always “know better by now”
17:14 How older children respond to Conscious Discipline
21:24 Using Feeling Buddies with older children
26:31 Three key tips for teachers of older students
30:40 What’s Becky celebrating?
31:20 What’s Becky up to?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
There are many ways you could have spent this time today, but you chose to spend it with me and I am grateful. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with others via your favorite social media platforms.
Also, would you consider taking 60-seconds to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes?
Your feedback is extremely helpful when it comes to the ranking of the show and I love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.