Have you noticed that the same children repeatedly receive the same consequences, often with no significant change in behavior? This is because most people have confused consequences with punishment. In Conscious Discipline, we differentiate consequences from punishment in very significant ways.
The first six skills of Conscious Discipline build an essential foundation that allows the seventh skill, consequences, to be effective. With this foundation in place, consequences work, and lasting behavior change is possible. Without this foundation, our response to behavior will continue to be ineffective.
In this episode, Becky Bailey and guest Amy Niemeier discuss the transformational power of Conscious Discipline consequences. Amy has been in education for 18 years and is in her seventh year as the principal of Slate Run Elementary School. She is also a Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor. Under Amy’s leadership, Conscious Discipline implementation at Slate Run has resulted in a tremendous culture shift and a 70% decrease in office referrals. Listen as Amy discusses her success with Conscious Discipline consequences, why they’re effective, and how you can achieve similar results.
• ConsciousDiscipline.com (https://consciousdiscipline.com/)
• Amy Niemeier, Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor (https://consciousdiscipline.com/professional-development/instructors/amy-niemeier/)
• Conscious Discipline Brain State Model (https://consciousdiscipline.com/methodology/brain-state-model/)
• Brain Smart Start (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/shuberts-classroom/brain-smart-start/)
• I Love You Rituals (https://consciousdiscipline.com/free-resources/shubert/shuberts-classroom/i-love-you-rituals/)
• Creating the Habit of Noticing (https://consciousdiscipline.com/creating-the-habit-of-noticing/)
:20 What is Conscious Discipline?
3:07 Where are the consequences in Conscious Discipline?
3:34 Addressing common myths about consequences
5:39 Three types of consequences
7:21 Difference between consequences and punishment
7:50 Introduction of guest Amy Niemeier
9:11 Five-year results of Conscious Discipline implementation at Amy’s school
14:21 Amy’s understanding of consequences vs. punishment
15:41 Success story: 70% decrease in office referrals
16:12 How to help staff shift from punishing to teaching skills
17:53 Why punishments don’t work with disconnected kids
18:58 Effectiveness of natural consequences
20:33 Effectiveness of logical consequences
21:12 Practicing consequences in personal life
22:51 Amy’s personal success story
26:44 Impact of Conscious Discipline on behavior support plan at Amy’s school
28:48 Why consequences are the seventh Conscious Discipline skill
29:44 Three steps for making consequences effective
33:25 What’s Becky celebrating?
33:48 What’s Becky up to?
On behalf of our Conscious Discipline family, we wish you well.