What is the first thing you think of when you hear the words resistant child? Disruptive? Mean? Hurtful? Angry? We might even call these children disconnected. What if we shifted our view of these children to see their behaviors as a call for help?
Children who are relationship resistant are the most challenging in our classrooms. We can relate to these children on some level as we have all had hurt and betrayal in our lives. As adults we build defenses to distract us from that inner pain, children show us with their hurtful and disruptive behavior in the classroom.
In this episode, we will learn strategies for reaching and building relationships with these children transforming both their life and the life of the classroom. Listen in and learn how create a School Family, utilize the skills of active calming, noticing and encouragement to reach even the most disconnected child.
• For children to behave differently we must see them differently
• Building relationships is key to reaching children who are resistant
• Why building a School Family is essential
• Remove judgment from the classroom with the skill of noticing
Steps for Tomorrow
Begin practicing self-calming and be willing to see children’s misbehavior as a call for help. Look for opportunities for connecting with children, begin building your school family.
• DNA Process (Star 4 in chapter 8 of book study portal, http://consciousdiscipline.com/bookstudy/chapter-8.asp).
• Skill of Noticing (http://consciousdiscipline.com/videos/video.asp?id=33)
• Mirror Neurons (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1-ZxV9Dc4)
• Wishing Well (http://consciousdiscipline.com/videos/video.asp?id=70)
• Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms
• Creating the School Family
• I Love You Rituals
• Shubert’s New Friend
• School Family Job Board
:18 What is Conscious Discipline
3:10 Introduction of Guest Vicky Hepler
4:10 What behavior trends in classrooms today
4:54 Responses to challenging children before Conscious Discipline
6:35 Responses to challenging children after Conscious Discipline
8:33 How to build connection with children who resist
9:32 DNA process
11:38 Beginning steps for helping disconnected children
13:17 Why children resist relationships
15:45 Reframing children’s behavior
18:05 Summary of strategies
19:10 Removing judgment from the classroom
21:12 Success story of relationship resistant child
25:20 What to do when multiple children in a class are disconnected
28:50 Teacher suggestions for when it’s difficult to implement
31:17 Summary of all strategies for reaching resistant children