Master the diagnosis and management of Genital Herpes with tips from expert, Robert Bettiker MD . Topics include: the natural history, diagnosis & screening guidelines for genital herpes; cold sores; options for primary and recurrent episodes including prophylaxis; and consideration of specific populations including symptomatic and asymptomatic patients, pregnancy and MSM (men who have sex with men). We also discuss partner notification and treatment.
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast. Rate us on iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback at email@example.com.
Written and produced by: Kate Grant MBChB DipGUMed, Matthew Watto MD
Images by: Kate Grant MBChB DipGUMed
Hosts: Stuart Brigham MD, Paul Williams MD, Matthew Watto MD
Guest: Robert Bettiker MD
- 00:00 Disclaimer, guest bio, intro
- 01:50 Guest one liner, memorable teaching moment and a few failures
- 10:50 Intro to herpes
- 12:25 Case 1: Genital herpes in a married man
- 15:42 Overview of testing options
- 18:50 Marital counseling in Herpes
- 22:18 Prophylaxis in serodiscordant partners and asymptomatic shedding
- 25:08 Case 2: Severe outbreak of genital herpes in a young woman
- 31:50 Case 3: Young male with recent exposure to herpes
- 38:45 Herpes 1 (HSV1) versus Herpes 2 (HSV2)
- 44:12 Case 4: Herpes in pregnancy
- 50:45 Do topical agents work for herpes
- 55:05 Take home points
- 56:10 Outro
- 57:52 Stuart shares a PUN!