Google News and Updates
- Hour of Code - Dec 4-10, 2017
- CS EdWeek-
- CS First: The CS First curriculum is free and easy to use — no computer science experience required!
- Hour of Code Tutorials
- CS First is a free program that increases student access and exposure to computer science (CS) education through after-school, in-school, and summer programs. All clubs are run by teachers and/or community volunteers.
- Our materials:
- are completely free and available online
- are targeted at students in grades 4th-8th (ages 9-14)
- can be tailored to fit your schedule and needs
- involve block-based coding using Scratch and are themed to attract students with varied interests
Ways to tie coding into your curriculum:
- Math and science: natural connections
- Social studies and English: logic/order in writing code is similar to making a case for writing an essay
- World languages: learning coding like a language
- Primary: fits in math and science, teamwork, problem-solving, etc.
Apple’s Tim Cook: Coding is better than learning English as a second language (https://qz.com/1099791/apples-tim-cook-says-coding-is-better-than-learning-english-as-a-second-language/)
- Have low bandwidth? Plan to show videos at the front of the class, so each student isn't downloading their own videos. Or try the unplugged/offline tutorials.
- Provide headphones for your class, or ask students to bring their own, if the tutorial you choose works best with sound.
- Don't have enough devices? Use pair programming. When students partner up, they help each other and rely less on the teacher. They’ll also see that computer science is social and collaborative.
Scripting in G Suite: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/overview
Google Teacher Tribe Mailbag
- Kim Monroe (technology teacher, New Jersey) -- Is there a way to search for precreated Gsuite activities? For example, I have saved templates from people I follow like you and Matt and Alice Keeler, but can I search google and find other “slides” or sheet templates?
- Shannon Burger (library media specialist, Missouri) -- I love Bitmoji and was really excited about customizing my Bitmoji as explained by Mandi Tolen in her blog post, but then the librarian in me reared its head! Before I share this with the teachers at my school.... are we violating copyright by modifying the Bitmoji image?
- The case for “not violating” -- “Snap Inc. grants you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable, non-exclusive, revocable, and non-sublicensable license to access and use our Services.”
- The case for “violating” -- You must also respect Snap Inc.'s rights. These Terms do not grant you any right to: use branding, logos, designs, photographs, videos, or any other materials used in our Services except as explicitly allowed by these Terms or our Services (for example, you may create and share your Bitmoji as our Services allow);
On The Blogs
Ready to Become a Google Certified Trainer?
Do you want to travel and help other teachers learn how to use G Suite in their classroom? Do you want to get your foot in the door as a consultant, trainer, or present at national conferences? Want to make a little extra cash in summer training teachers?
The VIP trainer course opens twice yearly (May and December) and will re-open for enrollment on November 10, 2017, and close on November 27, 2017.
This is the e-course you have been waiting for–the course to help you on your journey to becoming a Google for Education Certified Trainer!
Becoming a Google Certified Trainer was one of the best decisions I ever made, and it transformed my learning and my career! This self-paced, e-course includes EVERYTHING you need to know to pass the Trainer Skills Assessment AND complete the application requirements, including:
– 30+ Video Lessons (including the archive)
– Private Google+ Community
– The Ultimate Google Certified Trainer Planner and Check List
– VIP BONUSES!
– Tips & Tricks
– and much more!
Visit BecomeAGoogleTrainer.com for all of the details and to enroll (VIP will NOT open until November 10th!)
*Please note: This course does NOT prepare you for Google Certified Educator Level 1 and 2.