Sponsored by DataDog -- pythonbytes.fm/datadog
Brian #1: Replacing Bash Scripting with Python.
- reading & writing files
- CLI’s and working with stdin, stdout, stderr
- Path and shutil
- replacing sed, grep, awk, with regex
- running processes
- dealing with datetime
- see also:
Michael #2: pyodide
- Scientific Python in the browser
- ALL of CPython (allowed in the browser)
- Project by Mozilla
- We asked “Will there be a PyBlazor?” just two weeks ago. I think we are on a path…
Brian #3: The subset of reStructuredText worth committing to memory
- A lot of Python packages document with reStructuredText, a lot of reStructuredText tutorials are overwhelming. This post is the answer.
- paragraphs are with two newlines
- headings use a weird underlined method of above and below and =, -, and ~
- bulleted lists work with asterisks but spacing is important
- italics and bold are with one or two surrounding asterisks
- inline code uses two backticks
- links and code snippets are weird and I have to always look this up, as with images, and internal references.
- so I’ll bookmark this link
Michael #4: bandit
- via Anthony Shaw
- Bandit is a tool designed to find common security issues in Python code.
- To do this Bandit processes each file, builds an AST from it, and runs appropriate plugins against the AST nodes. Once Bandit has finished scanning all the files it generates a report.
- Issues detected:
- B312 telnetlib
- B307 eval
- B110 try_except_pass
- B602 subprocess_popen_with_shell_equals_true
Brian #5: Learn Python 3 within Jupyter Notebooks
- just fun
- Also shows how to run
pytest in a cell.
Michael #6: detect-secrets
- An enterprise friendly way of detecting and preventing secrets in code.
- From Yelp
- detect-secrets is an aptly named module for (surprise, surprise) detecting secrets within a code base.
- However, unlike other similar packages that solely focus on finding secrets, this package is designed with the enterprise client in mind: providing a backwards compatible, systematic means of:
- Preventing new secrets from entering the code base,
- Detecting if such preventions are explicitly bypassed, and
- Providing a checklist of secrets to roll, and migrate off to a more secure storage.
- Allows you to set a baseline
- set it up as a git commit hook