In this episode recorded at QCon London 2019 Shane Hastie, Lead Editor for Culture & Methods, first spoke to Kingsley Davies about ethics and then with Cat Swetel about requisite variety and being mindful of the impact our decisions have for the future.
Why listen to this podcast:
• The need to explore the application of technology for good
• The need for ethical standards in the technology industry
• Data is the new oil and it is frequently used in ways that are not in the best interest of society
• Other engineering professions have codes of conduct and ethical frameworks that are mandated as part of the education process, software engineering currently has very little
• Ashby’s law of requisite variety – the more options that are available to a system, the more resilient the system is applies to all aspects of our socio-technical systems
• We exist in the realm of ethics – we can’t just go to work and do what you’re told. Everything we do is a choice and our choices have a huge impact on the future