In this podcast, recorded live at Strange Loop 2017, Wes talks to Charity, cofounder and CEO of honeycomb.io. They discuss the social side of debugging and her Strange Loop talk “Observability for Emerging Infra: What got you Here Won't get you There”. Other topics include advice for testing in production, shadowing and splitting traffic, and sampling and aggregation.
Why listen to this podcast:
- Statistical sampling allows for collecting more detailed information while storing less data, and can be tuned for different event types.
- Testing in production is possible with canaries, shadowing requests, and feature switches
- Pulling data out of systems is just noise - it becomes valuable once someone has looked at it and indicates the meaning behind it.
- Instrumenting isn’t just about problem detection - it can be used to ask business questions later
- You can get 80% of the benefit from 20% of the work in instrumenting the systems.
More on this: Quick scan our curated show notes on InfoQ http://bit.ly/2y6OP1b
You can also subscribe to the InfoQ newsletter to receive weekly updates on the hottest topics from professional software development. bit.ly/24x3IVq
Like InfoQ on Facebook: bit.ly/2jmlyG8
Follow on Twitter: twitter.com/InfoQ
Follow on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/infoq
Want to see extented shownotes? Check the landing page on InfoQ: http://bit.ly/2y6OP1b