This week's podcast features Simon Brown well known for his work training software architects. Topics include the differences between a tech lead and an architect, how much documentation is enough and what that looks like in a continuous delivery environment.
What you'll learn on this podcast:
• As an industry we seem to have lost our knowledge of how to do architecture well in the context of modern agile software teams.
• Architecture is about the expensive decisions; things that are costly to change later.
• Ideally architects should code in the production code base. If you are not able to do this at least be involved in quality reviews and peer reviews in the production code so you can get feedback on your designs.
• It is often said the the code is the only documentation you need but the code can’t tell you everything. You do need to document the things you can’t get from the code such as the architectural drivers, they key quality attributes and so on along with some high level diagrams and how you operate the system.
• As you step into the role of architect go and find a mentor or a local meet-up. The major change is that you have to influence and lead people.
This podcast is sponsored by AppDynamics. Software architects play a critical role in designi¬¬¬ng, executing, and migrating large infrastructures to the cloud. Download AppDynamic’s FREE eBook “10 Tips for Enterprise Cloud Migration” and launch your migration project with a proven plan. Download the eBook now at http://infoq.link/web_sndcld_appdynamics
Like InfoQ on Facebook: bit.ly/2jmlyG8
Follow on Twitter: twitter.com/InfoQ
Follow on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/infoq
Want to see extented shownotes? Check the landing page on InfoQ: http://bit.ly/2xvq7qM