Phil Bender is an awarded industry leader with more than 30 years of experience in the financial services sector. He’s processed those experiences into a growth-based program to help individuals achieve a CEO mindset. His mission-driven objective is to impact one million people through his writing, coaching programs, workshops, and public speaking.
In this conversation, Phil discusses the concept of concierge financial planning and its parallels with concierge healthcare. He explores the idea of providing a deeper relationship and a higher level of service to clients, going beyond the traditional approach of computer-generated plans. Phil emphasizes the importance of building relationships, understanding core values, and delivering exceptional service to create a unique and valuable advisor-client dynamic. The conversation also touches on the psychological barriers advisors may face when embracing a concierge approach and the benefits of expanding one's perspective on wealth and experiences.
"Concierge financial planning is a key strategy to separate yourself from the pack when prospecting or developing new clients." - Phil Bender
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
- What is the significance of the Sea Captain Coaching name?
- What does a concierge doctor look like?
- Why you have to respect the person you’re talking to.
- You need to get out of your bubble.
- Three reasons why people leave your firm.
- The value of a culture that’s transferable.
- David’s advice for those who want to achieve peak performance.
Our Favorite Quotes:
- "Concierge financial planning is the client experience. What is the client experience you as an advisor are providing your client?" - Phil Bender
- "Financial planning on a concierge level is putting a plan together itself, charging a fee for possibly those types of things." - Phil Bender
- "Accountability coaching, you either have to respect the hell out of the person you're talking to." - Phil Bender
- "Concierge financial planning is a key strategy to separate yourself from the pack when prospecting or developing new clients." - Phil Bender
- "When an advisor can provide that level of experience to make someone feel special, it's a totally different dynamic and something that every advisor should strive for." - David DeCelle
- "Financial advising is one of the few careers where you can still grow socioeconomically above your parents, there aren't a lot of them." - Phil Bender
- "Go and spend a couple nights at the Ritz just to experience it, like go spend money for these experiences so that you can be exposed to what that's like." - David DeCelle
Connect with Phil Bender:
- Sea Captain Coaching
- Sea Captain Coaching on Facebook
- Sea Captain Coaching on Instagram
- Sea Captain Coaching on Twitter
- Phil Bender on LinkedIn
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.