Mike Metzger is a certified financial planner and the founder of Lifepoint Financial Design, a financial services firm dedicated to helping clients live a more purposeful life through financial planning. Mike–a real estate investor and spouse of a realtor—believes in the potential of real estate as an asset class and is on a mission to support realtors by providing them with creative financial planning services. Before founding Lifepoint, Mike served as the Vice President and Senior Financial Advisor of UnionBanc Investment Services and as a financial advisor for Merrill Lynch. He attended the University of Iowa and holds a Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist designation from the College of Financial Planning.
Mike joins me today to share his ideas on how financial advisors can effectively serve real estate professionals. He describes the beginnings of Lifepoint Financial Design and how he began serving real estate professionals after a career at Merrill Lynch. He explains the benefits of having a subscription-based pricing model and how financial advisors can help their realtor clients plan their cash flow through the “Profit First” method. Mike also highlights the biggest misconceptions about working with real estate professionals and underscores the power of connecting with clients on a deeper, personal level.
“Many realtors and real estate agents want to see the real you. They want to know that you’re a genuine person—that you’re someone they can connect with on their level.” - Mike Metzger
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
- The power of building a brand and online presence
- Mike’s educational background and professional journey in financial services
- The demographics of Mike’s realtor clients
- Understanding the three pain points of realtors and real estate agents
- The unique challenges of working with clients from the real property industry
- Helping realtors compartmentalize their “opportunity dollars” and plan their cash flow
- The “Profit First” method
- Mike’s business structure and pricing model
- Lifepoint Financial Design’s ongoing client service model
- Passion, profit, and how to choose a niche as a financial advisor
- How Mike creates a casual and more enjoyable atmosphere with his clients
- Building solid relationships with clients through social media
- Book: The Happiness Equation: Want Nothing + Do Anything=Have Everything by Neil Pasricha
- Book: Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “If people go to your Instagram, they would go to your meetings with their guards lowered. It solidifies the level of trust they already have with you.” - David DeCelle
- “Realtors help people and build businesses similar to what we financial advisors do. There are so many ways in which you can connect, build, and solidify your relationship with them.” - David DeCelle
- “Advisors who consider interacting on social media put too much thought in it. People just want to see the knowledge they’re for and that you’re a real person they can connect with.” - Mike Metzger
Connect with Mike Metzger:
- Lifepoint Financial Design
- Lifepoint Financial Design on LinkedIn
- Lifepoint Financial Design on Facebook
- Mike Metzger on LinkedIn
- Mike Metzger on Instagram
- Mike Metzger on Twitter
- Email: Mike@LifepointFD.com
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review on whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas for future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.