Jennifer Hensley is a marketing strategist and the owner of Playmaker Coaching & Consulting LLC— dedicated to changing the game for referral-based business owners. By creating and implementing 90-day marketing plans with her clients, Jennifer helps them scale sustainably without the hassle or hustle. Jennifer worked with Northwestern Mutual for over 18 years before becoming the owner of Playmaker Coaching & Consulting in 2019. She graduated from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a Bachelor’s in Marketing and earned her Chartered Financial Consultant and Chartered Life Underwriter designation from The American College of Financial Services.
Jennifer joins me today to offer advice on branding for financial advisors. She outlines the SVC branding framework and discusses what factors financial advisors need to consider when creating a branding strategy. She explains how financial advisors can elevate their branding if they’re not active on social media. She also highlights how advisors can avoid getting overwhelmed when beginning marketing work for their business and underscores the value of creating a playbook for branding success.
“Start by showing up: comment on others’ content, give free resources, or add value. Starting there can make a huge difference, and you wouldn’t have to worry about how much you need to post every day.” - Jennifer Hensley
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
- Jennifer’s background and career at Northwestern Mutual
- The “Strategy, Value, and Consistency” framework for branding
- Tracking and identifying client segmentation and ideal clients
- Jennifer’s advice for being more consistent with branding work
- The three circles of people who will see your content
- The importance of adding free value to other people
- How financial advisors can elevate their branding if they’re not active on social media
- Creating a library of content for repurposing and reusing
- The branding minimum viable product every financial advisor needs to have
- Book: One Word that will Change Your Life by Dan Britton, Jimmy Page, and Jon Gorden
- Book: The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People's Lives Better, Too) by Gretchen Rubin
- Book: Find Your Yellow Tux: How to Be Successful by Standing Out by Jesse Cole
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “The reality is if you want people to care about your stuff, it starts by you caring about theirs. You need to interact with them first to make interaction happen.” - David DeCelle
- “It’s important to not just put together a plan but also a plan of execution, and a plan around how you’re going to review and reassess.” - David DeCelle
- “Being strategic, value-based, and consistent helps advisors create aim and focus, rather than just going all over the board and hoping something will work out.” - Jennifer Hensley
- “Advisors often have a lot of ideas all the time and immediately take it all and adopt it all, at which point they struggle. Trying to make it manageable makes it more consistent.” - Jennifer Hensley
Connect with Jennifer Hensley:
- Playmaker Coaching & Consulting
- Email: jennifer@PlaymakerCoach.com
- Jennifer Hensley on LinkedIn
- Jennifer Hensley on Instagram
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.