Scott Nelson is the founder and CEO of Thrive Medicare, a fee-only financial services firm dedicated to helping clients live happy, comfortable lives by guiding them reach their financial goals. After nearly two decades of supporting advisors and their clients through Thrive Wealth Strategies, Scott built Thrive Medicare as a platform that offers training, mentorship programs, direct client support, and referral networks to assist financial advisors in the United States.
Scott joins me today to discuss how financial advisors can use Medicare as a prospecting and business development tool. He discusses how he pivoted from being a financial advisor to starting his Medicare services business and how he grew it through referrals. He describes why Medicare is a “fragmented” industry. He also explains how offering Medicare advice can build trust between a financial advisor and their client.
“Medicare is the best prospecting tool you’ll have.” - Scott Nelson
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
- How Scott launched his Medicare business
- Why Medicare is a fragmented industry and how it’s different from the financial advisory industry
- How offering Medicare can benefit financial advisors
- The “give-to-get” offer and why clients don’t look for a holistic fiduciary planner
- How the Medicare process can give you the opportunity to present your professionalism and perform fact-finding
- Medicare season and using Medicare as a tool to get referrals
- Why offering Medicare as a value-add gets you more referrals as a financial advisor
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “Marketing is a creative and ethical way to get someone’s attention and trick them into hanging out with you.” - David DeCelle
- “Of a hundred people you’re asking, not all are going to sign up for Medicare—but all one hundred will ask you for advice.” - Scott Nelson
- “Rarely will a client say, I need to find a holistic planner and address this entire thing! It’s usually a particular problem they need to work through, and it’s the adviser’s job to help them.” - David DeCelle
Connect with Scott Nelson:
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.