Kevin Lozer is the co-founder of Holistiplan, a tax planning software solution that helps financial advisors provide robust tax planning services to their clients. Kevin co-founded Holistiplan to help financial planners serve more clients that need comprehensive financial planning at all stages of life. In addition to his work with Holistiplan, he is also the founder and principal of his financial planning practice, Oakton Financial, and serves as a regional board member of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors.
Kevin joins me today to discuss how leveraging the Holistiplan software can help financial planners and CPAs deliver more value to their clients. He shares his professional journey and how he co-founded Holistiplan after years of working in financial planning. He also explains how using Holistiplan can help financial advisors strengthen their relationships with their centers of influence and underscores the importance of educating consumers on what makes good financial planning.
“As an industry, we need to educate consumers on what good financial planning really is.” - Kevin Lozer
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
- Kevin’s background and why he decided to transition to the software industry after operating a financial planning practice
- His first foray into financial planning from working in the world of corporate finance
- The ethos, beginning stages, and evolution of Holistiplan
- The difficulties of running a B2C organization and why Kevin and his co-founder decided to pivot into a B2B firm
- How long Holistiplan has been in business and how many advisors they currently serve
- The “give-to-get” method and how it creatively adds value, builds relationships, and turns prospects into clients
- How financial advisors can leverage Holistiplan for growth
- How Holistiplan helped increase adoption of tax planning software
- Building partnerships with broker-dealers and other ways Holistiplan grew from zero customers to 2,000 subscribers
- How financial advisors can leverage the Holistiplan software to deliver financial planning insights to their clients
- How Holistiplan can help financial advisors deepen their relationship with their centers of influence and CPAs
- Book: The Ensemble Practice: A Team-Based Approach to Building a Superior Wealth Management Firm by P. Palaveev
- Book: Disrupting for Good: Using Passion and Persistence to Create Lasting Change by Chris Field
- Book: The Fine Green Line: My Year of Golf Adventure on the Pro-Golf Mini-Tours by John Newport
Our Favorite Quotes:
- “If your friends and peers think you’re crazy, you’re probably on the right path.” - David DeCelle
- “Satisfied clients who have a better experience are more likely to share it.” - David DeCelle
- “Bringing CPAs to the boat will make them feel like they’re part of the team, and the client will feel like they have a team of financial professionals.” - Kevin Lozer
Connect with Kevin Lozer:
- Oakton Financial
- Holistiplan on LinkedIn
- Holistiplan on Twitter
- Kevin Lozer on LinkedIn
- Email: email@example.com
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.