Today, we’re doing something a little different, as unprecedented times call for unprecedented podcasts. This episode is in response to the many listeners who have asked for help in better understanding the history and context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Join Resident Bible Scholar Erin Moon as she explores listener questions and deep-dives the history of the region through a religious lens to provide context for what you’re hearing on the news and seeing in your feeds.
We understand that we bring a bias to this conversation, so we enlisted the help of several sensitivity listeners of various backgrounds to educate and enlighten about our own blindspots and biases. We’re so thankful for their help in shaping this episode. Be sure to check out the resources below to further your own research.
- How to help: Check out World Central Kitchen
- Relevant Past Episodes: SWDGISS: The Temples | Season 9, Episode 4: Constantine | SWDGISS: Paul’s Letters with NT Wright | SWDGISS: How We Read the Bible
- Helpful Podcast Episodes: The Balfour Declaration, Explained | The British White Paper on Palestine, Explained | Evangelicals Who Support Israel in Relation to End Times Prophecies | Why Evangelicals Support Israel | Gaza Population and Size Comparisons
- British Muslim Leaders Condemn Hamas Attack | Islamic Fatwa Against Hamas
- Organizations working towards peace and mutual understanding in the Middle East: Churches for Middle East Peace | The Telos Group | Telos Principles & Practices of Peacemaking
- Helpful Modern Perspectives and Educators: Ezra Klein: Israel is Giving Hamas What It Wants | The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan | Deep Dive into Idealogical and Religious Extremism of Hamas | YouTube Playlist by Seminarian and Jerusalemite Melissa | Mo News | Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg | Undaunted: Rami Elhanan and Bassam Aramin: Unlikely Brothers
- Demographics, Statistics, and Information: 7 Key Findings About Religion and Politics in Israel | Modest Warming in US Views on Israel and Palestinians | Younger evangelicals walking away from Israeli support | Understanding the importance of teaching about the Holocaust | The American role in the Holocaust | Quick facts about Al Nakba
- Historical Perspectives: Reasons for Arab Rejection of Zionism | Wiser World Podcast - Palestinian-Israeli Conflict 101 | A Timeline of Israel and Palestine’s Complicated History | The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - Origins Course (Free) | Israeli Views of the Land of Israel/Palestine
- Religious Sites: What makes Temple Mount so special? | The Temple Mount, Explained | The Politics of Prayer at Temple Mount
- Learn more about Palestinian Christians: Gaza’s Palestinian Christians
- The Hamas Attack in Israel: Why did Hamas invade Israel? | Understanding Hamas’s Genocidal Ideology | Origins of Hamas
- Is it a racial slur to describe someone as a Jew? Read this article
THE FAITH ADJACENT SEMINARY
Our Patreon supporters can access our Resource Deep-Dives, Office Hours episodes, monthly Fellowship Hall gatherings, and more! You can even test us out with a 7-day free trial. Become a partner.
THE FAITH ADJACENT MERCH SHOP
We just launched our time-sensitive Merch Shop! You can get things like an embroidered “Josh Lives Here” sweatshirt and an “I Survived” sticker pack! Shop here until November 1.
Check out our other podcast: The Popcast with Knox and Jamie. It's a weekly show about pop culture where we educate on the things that entertain, but don't matter. Here is our suggested Popcast starter playlist.
Subscribe to our Newsletter: The Dish from Faith Adjacent
Shop our Amazon Link: amazon.com/shop/faithadjacent
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices