Why the Federal Reserve had to step in again to sop runs on money market mutual funds and keep the financial system from imploding.
Topics covered include:
- What are the differences between shocks and vulnerabilities
- What are the four main vulnerabilities the Federal Reserve monitors
- How deleveraging and demands for liquidity lead to market stresses
- What are the types of money market funds and how were they impacted by the Covid 19 shock
- How was Treasury bond trading impacted by the Covid shock
- Why the Federal Reserve stepped in to stop the market contagion from spreading
- What are the downsides to central bank interventions
- What individual investors can do to protect against future shocks
For more information on this episode click here.
U.S. Credit Markets Interconnectedness and the Effects of the COVID-19 Economic Shock by S.P. Kothari, Dalia Blass, Alan Cohen, Sumit Rajpal, and SEC Research Staff—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission