WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER
- How Ni-Cheng’s cancer diagnosis during fellowship affected her relationship with medicine
- How taking a year off medicine helped her heal internally and externally
- How to thrive in medicine
- How she returned to medicine after changing her relationship with herself
- Meeting her hubby in 8th grade at the East Asian Volleyball circuit
- Her first impression of her hubby and his Red Honda Del Sol
- When her hubby knew Ni-Cheng was the one
- How her hubby expressed his love to her through “car talk”
- The devotion he showed while driving her to and from every single chemo appointment
- The balance of buying nice things and delayed gratification
- Taking deep breaths before making a purchase
- Need is a subjective word
- Embody what you teach
- Reframing difficult experiences as opportunities for learning
- Paying attention on purpose to the present moment at anytime or anywhere
- Breath, Attend, and Transition to more skillful action
TAKE HOME POINTS FROM Ni-Cheng Liang
- Provide unconditional support for your spouse's hobbies and interests regardless of how random they are. Investing in each other in a way that provides space and unconditional love will pay off in the end.
- You owe it to yourself and to your spouse to prioritize taking care of yourself so that you can show up authentically and be fully present for your loved ones and patients.
- Mindfulness is paying attention to the present moment at any time or anywhere. You can even do it now! Notice your breath, name what you are feeling, notice your thoughts and transition to greater skillful action as opposed to reaction.
WALK AWAY ASKING YOURSELF
- How can I work on my relationship with myself so that I can thrive in medicine?
- How is uncertainty, fear, and anxiety affecting the care of my patients?
- Can I make my profession of love a game?
- How do I show myself compassion?
- How can I reframe my thoughts so that difficult experiences become learning opportunities?
FEATURED ON THIS SHOW
- Website: https://www.ncliangmd.com/
- Facebook: Ni-Cheng Liang
- Instagram: @ncliangmd
- Twitter: drnichengliang
- YoutTube: Awaken Breath
*This podcast is a member of the Doctor Podcast Network