In our (canonical) 100th episode, we discuss one of the most iconic and influential Hindi films of all time, Mehboob Khan’s 1957 epic Mother India.
- 100 Baby! Thank you to the Alberta Podcast Network, Audioboom, all of our past guests, all of our listeners, and especially Paul Matwychuk!
- Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters thank you A.J. Devlin!
- Our favourite episodes, biggest podcasting regrets, and reflecting on the podcast thus far
- Mother India
- Our experiences with the film in university
(INTERVAL (“O Janewalo Jao Na” from Mother India)
- Katherine Mayo’s Mother India
- Fellini was nominated for 12 Oscars and won four
- Songs: “Matwala Jiya Dole Piya,” “O Gaadiwale,” “Duniya Mein Aaye Hain,” “Dukh Bhare Din Beete Re Bhaiya,” “Ghunghat Nahin Kholoongi,” and “Na Main Bhagwan Hoon”
- Soviet montage and Constructivism (we were kind of conflating the two movements, they are different but related) and the Kuleshov effect
- D.W. Griffith and Gone With the Wind
NEXT TIME: a filmmaker’s first time
Bollywood is For Lovers is a member of the Alberta Podcast Network
Listen to The Well Endowed Podcast
Check out Taproot Edmonton
Find us on Apple Podcasts! and Stitcher! and audioBoom! and iHeartRadio! and Spotify! and Google Podcasts!
Thank you to Becca Dalke for the artwork!
#Bollywood, #MotherIndia, #MehboobKhan, #Nargis, #SunilDutt, #RajendraKumar, #RaajKumar, #KanhaiyaLal, #Podcast, #BollywoodPodcast, #FilmPodcast, #HindiCinema, #AcademyAwards, #Oscars, #BestForeignLanguageFilm