Last week we called The Crow, “perhaps the most 90s movie ever made.” This week, Clueless says “that’s totally harsh.” Join your favourite transatlantic podcasting duo - Ian & Liam – as we return to the mid-nineties for an Amy Heckerling picture that simultaneously satirises 90s culture amongst the ‘it crowd’ while also acting as a faithful adaptation of a 19th Century Jane Austen piece. We’re rolling with the homies (in the form of our permaguests, Ellie and Georgia) all the way to the mall as we discuss a moment frozen in time in Clueless. It's a Betty of a 20th episode where we:
- Play ‘Real or Fake 90s slang”
- Discuss the legacies of the O.J. Simpson case in popular culture
- Try to figure out why Brittany Murphy is so hard to recognise
- Georgia weighs in on the great egg debate.
- Marvel at why so many of the cast don’t seem to age in a quarter of a century.
- Gush over the greatness of Wallace Shawn who seems to have aged in reverse since Princess Bride.
- Talk about the consequences of satire if the audience doesn’t pick up that it’s a satire.
- Talk about that iconic Alicia Silverstone outfit that was borrowed for a 2014 chart-topping homage
- Ask ourselves if Clueless is the Best Film Ever.